Sunday 12 January 2014

Day 7 - Yoga Studies Tour 2014

First thing this morning I knew how Michael Caine felt . . . . .

Remember how 'The Italian Job' starts? With the job going perfectly as planned, no hitches, no mistakes, then you see what really happened?

My plan was to start the day by re-establishing my own daily pranayama practice round the pool at about 7.30, then wander at a leisurely pace into asana class at 8.

As it happened, I turned the alarm off at 7 and snoozed for 5 minutes, completely unaware that we had entered some sort of time warp because the next time I opened my eyes the clock said 7.56.

After investing half a minute in some mindful swearing I top-and-tailed, applied some deodorant, brushed my hair, grabbed my yoga bag and got to class on time.

It did take me 10 minutes to register my left from my right but I think I pulled it off . . . .

After a  quick breakfast and a shower we talked about Chapter II, Sutra 16 in Patanjali's Yoga Sutras:

heyam - duhkammanganatam
 
This explains that the way to approach any problem in life is to first anticipate and if possible, prevent the problem occurring. If that isn't an option then take steps to reduce the suffering and if that cannot be achieved then we have to just accept we have troubles in our lives and practice yoga to improve clarity of thought.

I then moved onto the pool to read about George Harrison's work with the Hare Krishna organisation in the 60s and 70s which was so engrossing that I skipped lunch - I reckoned it was time I missed a meal!

To stretch my legs I took a walk with Gail and Tracey. We turned right out of the resort and dawdled (you couldn't call it walking as we stopped every 5 yards to take another picture) along a dry dusty lane surrounded on both sides by wild flowers, coconut trees, banana plants, paddy fields, massive spider webs, cocoons of some insect or other, flocks of egrets, huge butterflies, and an as-yet unspecified fruit tree.
 
We had several conversations with motorcyclists who stopped to say hello, saw a shepherd and a shepherdess (not together) herding their cows, and saw a lorry being reversed into the river.


 
Upon further investigation the lorry turned out to be a people carrier in need of a wash so we watched as one guy threw buckets of water over the back as his mates stood around and invited us to take pictures. We noticed that the truck bore the hallmarks of a Shivite so one of the guys did an impression of Kali and was mightily amused when Gail returned the favour, bending at the knee with arms up and bent at a right angle with her mouth open roaring away. Much hilarity all round!

 
The last class of the day was chanting slokahs 3-6 of Krishnamacharya's Yoganjalisaram (see previous blog).

So, with apologies to the non-foodies, we are back at the food again . . .

Here is the list of dishes I sampled, and yes dear reader you can be assured that I took only one mouthful from each one:

Starters
  • Mulligatawny soup - not as spicy as Heinz!
  • Ajwan buffs - a bit like vol au vents, full of air and tasteless
  • Potato gold coins - tiny discs of potato rosti with a dollop of Indian mashed potato on top - very small but delicious
  • Vegetable samosas - a different recipe this time, much hotter
Main course
  • Curry leaf rice
  • Dahl Fry - a lentil curry, no idea where the 'Fry' comes from
  • Sweet & sour vegetables
  • Mixed Vegetable Korma
  • Sar Son Ka Saag - a spinach sauce
  • Ennai Kathirkai -  I think it had aubergines in - it was too dark to see it when I returned to the table, and I can't find it on the web
  • Mushroom Ginger Onion - a mild flavour
  • Sesame tikka - very small,  very nice
  • Fish tikka - I broke a rule and tried it despite the name of the fish being absent, it was delicious but I don't know what it was
Dessert
  • Pineapple Kesari - a pineappley cake - when I searched for recipes on the web there were none but when I did the search I found something interesting for Rosie who will find the link interesting I hope :-)
All this was washed down with a Cinderella Mocktail - pineapple, orange, lime juice - plus some water and traditional South Indian dancing.

To bed!

Namaste!






 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blogger is very weird when it comes to Comments so please select Anonymous and include your name after your post, e.g. Read your story - please see a therapist (Joe)